From pain in the face to having a loss of smell, sinus issues can be very distracting and make you feel pretty awful. While there are many solutions for sinus relief, there’s only one you can do whenever and wherever: self-massage.
Massage helps promote drainage from the sinuses and ease congestion, and all you need for this home remedy are your fingers. Here are 3 massage techniques to relieve sinus pain:
1. Frontal sinus massage
The frontal sinuses are found in the center of your forehead, right above each eye.
- Run your hands under warm water or rub them together to warm them up.
- Place your index and middle fingers on either side of the forehead, just above the eyebrows.
- Massage slowly in small circular motions working your way towards the temples.
- Do this for about 30 seconds.
2. Maxillary sinus massage
The maxillary sinuses are located on either side of the lower half of your nose. They’re the largest of the four sinuses.
- Place your index and middle fingers on the area between the cheek bones and the upper jaw, on either side of the nose.
- Massage this area in a circular motion for about 30 seconds.
- For stronger pressure, use your thumbs instead of your index fingers.
3. Sphenoid/ethmoid sinus massage
The sphenoid sinuses can be found on the side of the skull in the sphenoid bone, which is behind the nose and between the eyes, just below the pituitary gland. The ethmoid sinuses are located in the ethmoid bone, the bone that divides the nasal cavity from the brain.
- Place your index fingers on the bridge of your nose.
- Find the area between your nasal bone and the corner of the eyes.
- Hold a firm pressure in that spot with your fingers for about 15 seconds.
- Using your index fingers, stroke downward along the side of the bridge of your nose.
- Repeat the slow downward strokes for about 30 seconds.
You can repeat all of these massages several times until your sinuses feel relieved. You can also combine sinus massage with other remedies like warm compresses, steam inhalation and acupuncture. At Arapahoe Chiropractic, we can help you with sinus massages and acupuncture for sinus relief. Schedule an appointment online or contact us today!
BY: Dr. Friedman
COMMENTS: No Comments