What is Sinusitis?
Sinusitis—commonly known as a sinus infection—is the inflammation of the sinus cavities. This can be caused by a cold or allergies and sometimes resolves itself. When sinuses are no longer filled with air and are blocked with fluid, germs can grow causing an infection.
There are four types of sinusitis:
- Viral sinusitis — caused by a virus like a cold
- Bacterial sinusitis — caused by bacteria in the sinuses
- Allergic sinusitis — caused by allergies
- Chronic sinusitis — caused by nasal polyps, deviated septum, or other medical condition
What are the symptoms of Sinusitis?
Symptoms and their severity vary person to person, but common sinusitis symptoms include:
- Pain in the face, sinuses, back of the eyes, ears, or forehead
- Nasal congestion, distorted sense of smell, itching, loss of smell, or runny nose
- Fatigue, fever, or headache
- Facial tenderness or swelling
Can acupuncture help with Sinusitis?
Acupuncture can help treat all forms of sinusitis. Acupuncture helps with the existing congestion and strengthens the immune system. Some notice relief during their first treatment.
Acupuncture has anti-inflammatory effects on the body, helping to reduce the inflammation in the sinus cavities and decrease pain levels. It also helps with the movement of fluids in the body which can assist in the breakdown of mucous stuck in the sinuses.
BY: Dr. Friedman
COMMENTS: No Comments